Indoor cycling: What is it and what do I need to start?Sara M.
Cycling at home or indoor cycling has become one of the best options for bicycle lovers in recent years.
Due to weather conditions, access to specific environments and the Covid-19 pandemic, the opportunity to go outdoors to practice one of the most complete and healthy sports has become difficult. Fortunately, technology is within our reach. Many of the facets of daily life are digitized and sport is another particular example of this. This is reflected in the use of applications such as strava, which are already part of the sports routine.
Queries such as: “what spinning bike should I buy” or “how to train with a smart bike trainer” are among the most sought after in relation to sport. In fact, the bh spinning bike, the sports products of the technological giant garmin or platforms such as training peaks, are highly requested by a large part of the population that is increasingly concerned about their health and well-being.
Thanks to technology, virtual indoor cycling is also a reality and training with a roller from home has become a sensory and unique experience, even in a 3D environment.
Those who want to start in the world of virtual cycling can start with a cheap and good quality smart trainer that allows them to test the terrain, manufacturers usually provide basic software for its use, but if what you want is to have fun while pedaling, you have of several options in the market with 3D environment: Stamyn, Zwift, RGT are some of them.
Whether you have a mountain bike or a road bike, you can start training with a trainer. You just need to add specific material to your usual equipment.
This is what you need to start from scratch in virtual indoor cycling
- A road or mountain bike.
- A bike smart trainer.
- A computer or tablet with Bluetooth or ANT+.
- Wanna have fun!
Types of rollers and which one to choose according to your needs
Friction rollers differ from direct drive rollers in that direct drive rollers eliminate the rear wheel. They also more closely simulate the feel of a road bike. They are quieter rollers, they will not wear out your tires as they are not in contact, but their price is higher compared to the previous ones.
These are the leading roller brands in the sector
Among the leading companies in virtual training, or more specifically in virtual indoor cycling, are kickr rollers, which belong to the wahoo fitness technology group.
On the other hand would be the Italian elite brand, it is one of the most valued among customers and experts. The third option that we at Stamyn recommend is tacx, a company of the giant garmin. Both kickr, elite and tacx, have several ranges of products that are adjusted to the level of each user.
What you should keep in mind when choosing your material
- To be able to practice virtual cycling, it is important that you choose a trainer that suits your needs, your place (more or less quiet), your budget and the frequency that you consider that you are going to use your new smart bicycle.
- Try to ensure that all your material has both bluetooth and ant+ technology. This will allow compatibility with online simulators, avoiding the occasional headache.
- Be aware that training with a roller is somewhat noisy to a greater or lesser extent. If you start with a friction roller (and are worried about the sound it might make) choose a fluid roller instead of a friction roller.
- For friction rollers, a cover is also useful to prevent wear on your tires. The friction that your road bike suffers is not the same outside as it is when you practice virtual cycling at home. It is not superfluous, therefore, to protect the wheels of your bike.
What we at Stamyn offer you
Stamyn goes one step further than conventional virtual indoor cycling platforms like zwift or kbool. It is a multiplayer space where you can train or compete with friends from a gamer perspective.
You don’t always have the means to go out in a group but that is no longer a problem thanks to the technology that Stamyn has developed for you, your friends and potential competitors.
Stamyn can transport you to the same scenarios as your road bike, it allows you to compete with your own racing bike and create a virtual training that lives up to your expectations. Now yes, register, create your avatar and train virtual with Stamyn.